New project: Raising Earthworms
Started: 24 August 07
Expected date of harvest: 6 weeks, first week in October for me.
Constructed with 2x8's = Box and 1x6's = Top. Project was constructed over a three day period, using pressure treated lumber.
First day - Build the box, till the ground, place box, add cow manure within two inches of the top and soak with water.
Day 2 - Add earthworms. 3 cups of Big Reds is what I used.
Day 3 - Add food, Chicken laying mash. Attracts ants and quick to mold. Better to use compose.
Note: On the next one, I will run 1x6 the length of the box.
Filler: Cow Manure
Anticipated problems: Ants, not really but that is what I am told.
Stay tuned and in October, I will update the progress of my earthworm project.
UPDATE: Tree roots took over my bed, the worms left/disappeared.
So I pulled it up, put a bottom to it and am starting over again for easier maintenance. I ordered more worms.
March 2011. My worm bed is doing great. I have gone from those special bought worms to locally grown worms. If can get them to be still long enough, I will take a picture.
(((your inner voice.com)))